Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Mission President's Seminar: Day Before


We went to the Mission Presidents Training Seminar September 7-12th. It was supposed to be from the 7th to the 11th, but because of technical diffulities on the plane we arrived back to the mission home in Phnom Penh 27 hours after we got to the Hong Kong Airport! Next year, we will come home a different way. It is normally a 2 1/2 hour trip for a through flight from here.
We arrived one day early in order to make the Wednesday dinner with Elder Hinckley, the Area Presidency and the other Mission Presidents and wives. So, we took a preparation day, which we needed, I might add and learned the subway system of Hong Kong. We wanted to go to the Distribution center across from the temple and we eventually found it. Up the hill from the top picture and turn right and there is the Temple. Of course, I forgot to take a picture until we got back down this hill and was too tired to climb back up and take the picture. However, on last year's blog, I have a picture of it! We thought we were on the wrong exit from the subway only to turn around and come out where Scott is to find out it was across the road from where we first exited! I was amazed with all the taxis at this taxi stand near the subway.

We went back underground and saw signs for a food court at a mall and lo and behold the subway adjoins this mall. The mall is seven floors as you can see from the above picture of the escalators. It even had an iceskating ring. I tried to catch a litle girl doing her moves, but my camera wouldn't take a light shot. I was amazed at seeing such a classy, upscale mall because I haven't seen one in a year. However, we do have a new mall here that I"m told is very, very nice. So maybe in a couple of weeks we can take a preparation day and go visit it. This had all upscale stores. Also a grocery store and a See's candy. I confess I bought 2 penuche chocolates! Scott was more enthralled with the beautiful supermarket and the fruits.

The watermelon, from Japan, cost about $999 Hong Kong dollars which I believe is about $120 in USA dollars! The two peaches, also from Japan, were $80 Hong Kong dollars which is $10 USA. We decided not to purchase any peaches. We have small watermelons here that are delicious, but no peaches. At that price, I can wait for two more years to get a peach!
I want to add, that this is the same city where I fell and fractured by finger last year. As we walked by the same spot, Scott wanted to re-enact the whole thing, but I opted out! I was so grateful for good shoes, Scott hanging on to me or rather me hanging on to Scott, and protection. I made it through the whole trip and didn't fall once!
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment