Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Weekend at Kampong Cham

Last week, after we had new missionaries and old missionaries leave the mission home, had transfers, and got the last Elder off on Saturday morning to go home to Vietnam, Scott and I headed up to Kampong Cham for a mission conference. So, this is out of order again, it should be the last post for today. So sorry about that! I'll get it sometime!
We decided to stay in a new Hotel in Kampong Cham. We usually stay in one by the river. The only problem with that one is that a little gecko greets us every visit, but he never bothers us. We decided to give this new hotel a chance. They have been open for 1 1/2 months. It was obvious that they were new because when they showed us our VIP room (VIP in this hotel means that they turn the hot water on for you), right there on the pillow greeting us was a spider about 4 inches total diameter including his long legs. I think I mentioned this in my last letter. When I asked the attendant to get rid of the spider, he went over and hit it and it jumped off the bed. He turned around to us with his hands in the air and said, sorry, he is under the bed. We got another room. He let us in and then turned around and said, No spider here! I was grateful. This VIP room was pretty good, but had a cracked mirror and tiny water bottles, and Wi-Fi that doesn't work. We decided that when we go back in two weeks for interviews, we will stick with our friendly gecko on the riverfront hotel! No spiders and lots of water available and internet that works!

The Youth chorus. They sang the closing song at the District Conference. All the youth when they sing in a church chorus like to have something matching to wear. This group always weard these red scarves. Another group in Phnom Penh, the young men wear purple ties and the girls also wear some kind of purple scarf. They all do well, practice hard, and sound great.
The family below live in the above neighborhood. They come to church sometimes only. I think because they have one moto and church is a little ways away. We encouraged them to ride their bikes and come to the Conference. They let us have a prayer with them and they wanted Scott to say it, so he did it in Cambodian. They were really pleased at that.

Sorry for the blurry picture. I didn't realize it was this bad!

This is one of the branch presidents in this District of three branches. He has one of the nicer most humble homes. On both walls they have pictures of the missionaries that have worked in the branch. I was worried their floor wouldn't hold us because the bamboo slats were about 1/2 inch apart. But it was really firm and safe. This Branch president knows everyone of his members and where they live. We took them on the visit to the above people and as we were driving along, he would point out all of the members homes and knows all their names. He goes and visits once a month as many as he can of his members.
We visited this family on our way out of Kampong Cham. They have been members since October. They have to pay $10 every Sunday to ride 40 minutes into Church. They are faithful and never miss. They pay their tithing also. Paying the $10 to go to Church every Sunday is a great sacrifice because these are not wealthy people. This home is also one of the nicer ones in this neighborhood. He is kind of like a nurse practicioner. People come to him for medical help and pay him. These are their two boys. His neighbors ask him why he spends money every week to go to Church. They want to know what the Church gives him for going. They think he must get something or why would he go. His answer to them? I get blessings. . . and he means it. Another family that keeps me humbled by their greatness. What an honor to be with them. They asked me to pray, so I was honored and did my best to say it in Cambodian.

This is a handcart that Scott and President Eng were acting like they were the oxen! President Eng is Scott's counselor in the mission presidency. Kampong Cham is his area that he helps cover, so he rode up with us. He and his wife are both returned missionaries, married in the Temple, and he graduated from college. They have two boys and are expecting their third boy in May. He has a pretty good job right now and travels all over Cambodia. He is very dependable with his church assignment and helps strengthen and train the Saints in all of his assigned areas. We just love working with him and his family.

1 comment:

  1. Wow mom. I loved all of your posts. SO BUSY you are! I would have DIED if I had a seen a spider that big. I would have not only gotten a different room but a different hotel!! YIKES!! Glad you made out all right!

    ReplyDelete